Labels

Thursday 30 August 2012

London Dreaming

This weekend has been spent gallivanting around our glorious capital city with my beautiful Performing Arts girls! This has been in the planning for some weeks now and it was safe to say that the excitement was overflowing by the time I stepped of the train at Paddington. I hopped over to Covent Garden (the designated meeting place) and after a huge group hug and A LOT of girly squeals...so un-chic...we headed off for lunch at Belushi's , a cocktail bar and cafe which can be found all over Europe. However, with posters and adverts mashed together all over the walls and the neon signs above the bar it has a most unique feel to it. The menu is much like your average American diner but with a few twists on the traditional and the cocktail menu is extensive. Just tucked away off the side of Covent Garden it was perfect for re-fuelling and a much needed catch up before gallivanting around for the rest of the day!

We criss-crossed are way through the shops with only one mission in mind: cake! And boy, did we find some! Candy Cakes was just hiden away in a little alcove underneath all the shops looking all innocent...go through the door and BOOM! It felt like I had walked into Willy Wonka's factory and I never wanted to leave!!! The rage of cakes, ice creams and shakes was incredible but the taste was sooooo much better!

 
Peanut Butter Cupcake complete with glitter  *

I truly recommend hunting this shop out, you will not be disappointed with it even if you are the fussiest person in the world!

We headed back to our dearest friend Megan's house with the plan of getting ready for a huge night out however, it was not to be. We gorged ourselves on flatbread and olives, recreated 'Santa Fe' on the tube like any good Performing Arts girl would and strolled around the great city dreaming of someday calling it home. Which has to happen. We high-fived on it at Baker Street.

Any chance to pose! L to R: Me, Hannah, Anna,  Rosie
Day two of our grand adventure began rather reluctantly but a cheeky Subway soon sorted that out. We jumped on the tube and head straight to Spitalfield Market, we amble around for an hour or so discovering different trinkets and clothes for sale and lost ourselves in amongst the stalls. I was unsuccessful in my quest for a Campbell's Soup tshirt but I will continue to search!  However, one thing had the ability to focus all 6 of us...yes, it was food. Yes, it was cake. BUT oh my days what a cake it was!!! I know I said this about the other ones but, the sounds that were released from our mouths as we devoured the beauties were the only proof needed that these were the best cupcakes in London. Possibly the world.

Flavourtown Bakery Carrot Cake Cupcake

We moved down Brick Lane towards Absolute Vintage, a huge warehouse filled to the rafters with items from the 1920s onwards. I picked myself up a little yellow '60s number and a headscarf, I will be rocking them in Italy for sure. If you haven't been there...GO! I promise you will find something fascinating to prance around in for weeks. We also visited Rough Trade to flick through rows upon rows of records and mess around in the photobooth, a much needed momento for the wall of my new bedroom.




Soon our bellies cried to be filled and we headed off to the new branch of Pho just outside of Liverpool Street Station. It is a Vietnamese restaurant serving all kinds of authentic dishes; soups that come with a side of herbs for you to create your own, noodles with the crispiest spring rolls in town and curries (which I have yet to try). I love Pho, it is great for a quick lunch or a relaxing dinner but I will leave that choice up to you! If you are looking for something different then hunt it down and you will not be disappointed. I may do an actual review on it one day when I have learnt to take pictures of food so watch this space!


We dashed to the All Star Lanes Bowling Alley, a Fifties style bar/restaurant/bowling alley for cocktails in jam jars, although I went for the cocktail glass instead. I'm a sucker for a strawberry cocktail and a dash of basil and I'm yours!

If you drink from a jam jar at any other time you would be frowned at. *

Unfortunately, we had to leave our beautiful London town and go our separate ways to less exciting lands/ more foreign lands. I was on the verge of tears saying goodbye to my lovely ladies as, I won't be seeing them until Easter but I didn't want to ruin the amazing weekend. If you want to read more about our Great London Adventure then my friend Hannah's blog is here.

So ladies, I will meet you in Paris.

The pictures with * on them are not mine but Hannah's and Anna's.  Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment